You may read about the five-stage process of becoming a befriender here. Please click on each tab to read about what happens in each of the five stages.
Interviews and Training
- Befriender starter pack sent in response to enquiry
- Befriending Application Form sent to applicants interested in starting assessment
- Short phone conversation with FUN staff
- 1st Interview with FUN staff (approx. 30 minutes)
- ID taken up (one photo ID & bill/bank statement etc)
- Mandatory training (overall time approx 12 hours, three days - usually weekends - from 10:00am till 3pm):
> Session 1: Defining the role of the befriender
> Session 2: Listening and child protection guidelines
> Session 3: Policies & procedures outline and summary of key learning points
- Second in-depth interview (1½ hours)
- References (3 written ref. including one professional)
You can download a copy of the Befrienders Pack (pdf file) from this page and you can also make an online application here.